Date: 4/16/17 11:25 am
From: Don Gorney <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Ft. Harrison SP 4-16, 8 warblers/3 vireos
I began birding at Ft. Harrison State Park, Indianapolis, at 7:15am. The bird walk began at 8am and we experienced a bit of rain but it was not too bad. I had 50 species for the morning most of which were encountered during the walk. Highlights included 8 warbler species, 3 vireo species, Solitary Sandpiper, House Wrens, and a Chimney Swift. We had three Prothonotary Warblers during the walk with one giving us a great show of checking out a tree cavity about 15 feet from the group.
Canada Goose  8
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  1
Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  5
Turkey Vulture  6
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk (borealis)  1
Killdeer  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Mourning Dove  2
Chimney Swift  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo (Eastern)  1
Blue Jay  42
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Tree Swallow  2
Carolina Chickadee  12
Tufted Titmouse  11
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)  5
House Wren  3
Carolina Wren  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  18
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  5
American Robin  13
Brown Thrasher  1
European Starling  6
Louisiana Waterthrush  3
Blue-winged Warbler  1
Prothonotary Warbler  3
Northern Parula  7
Palm Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  4
Yellow-throated Warbler  9
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Chipping Sparrow  12
Field Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  7
Eastern Towhee  4
Northern Cardinal  12
Red-winged Blackbird  12
Brown-headed Cowbird  23
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  14

There will be a bird walk each Sunday in April and May at Ft. Harrison State Park. Meet at 8am in the NE corner of Delaware Lake parking lot. Don Gorney
Indianapolis, IN
317.501.4212
dongorney AT yahoo.com

Join us on Facebook!