Date: 4/16/17 10:54 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Palm Warbler and Purple Finches - Town of Wilson; also, a possible record-early Great Crested Flycatcher
A couple of sightings from the yard the past two days. Yesterday, Betsy
counted 30 PURPLE FINCHES at our feeding station, the most we have ever had
in the yard. Today, she spotted a PALM WARBLER in the apple tree over our
deck. I tried for a photo but he got away. The bird was of the western
subspecies, the form that is by far the more common in the region, though
the eastern "Yellow Palm Warbler" is the earlier migrant - so a bit of a
surprise. There are earlier records in the Buffalo study area.

Speaking of early migrants, a GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER was eBirded in
Cattaraugus County. Although not photographed, the description provided to
me by the observer is supportive:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35993524 I believe the earliest
record in the Buffalo study area is April 23rd.

Good birding!

Willie

Willie D'Anna

Wilson, NY