Date: 4/16/17 7:43 am
From: Aidan Place <placea...>
Subject: Migrant -- Frick Park Area, Allegheny County
Yesterday I spent a good amount of time looking for newly arrived migrants
in and around Frick Park. I started at Cowboy Hill where my walk was
highlighted by a hermit thrush. Blue-grey gnatcatchers have returned to the
park in large number and were present as well. I next decided to go down to
Duck Hollow. Besides the recently returned northern rough-winged swallows,
I was also able to get on an early warbling vireo which was singing away
near the bridge.

In the evening, I took a walk through the Homewood Cemetery as it was in
the only spot in "Greater Frick" I hadn't birded over the last couple of
days. A yellow-rumped warbler and a field sparrow around the Dump Area
where the passerine highlights. While its a good potential spot for field
sparrow in migration, the one I had was in fact my personal first for the
cemetery and only my second for Greater Frick.

However, the highlight of the evening was the unusual push of migrating
waterbirds moving over the cemetery and up the ravines of Frick. The first
waterbird I had was a very high up flyover common merganser (a first eBird
record for the location). Then I started to notice a number of
double-crested cormorants come by. First a flock of seven, then a couple
individuals, then a group of two for a total of 11 over the course of time
I was watching. All of the cormorants were funneling up the adjacent ravine
in Frick Park.

Good birding,
Aidan Place
Allegheny County