Date: 4/16/17 5:13 am
From: Amy Kearns <greenpertplus...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Goose Pond FWA shorebirds 4-15-17
Yesterday I joined many other birders at Goose Pond FWA. We enjoyed the hundreds of shorebirds in MPW while searching for the Ruff found by Jeff McCoy Friday evening. All told, I estimated over 1200 shorebirds seen from SR 59 north of the double ditches (this is only a small fraction of the MPW unit). Pectoral sandpipers were the most numerous - I thought roughly 600 but many birds were coming and going each time a flyby eagle "shuffled the deck". Many of us saw the Ruff in the morning and early afternoon, but the poor lighting conditions made looks rather unsatisfactory. From around 11 until nearly 3, the bird wasn't being seen, until suddenly it appeared near the highway on nice mudflats south of the check in stand. From there, many birders and photographers were able to get good looks as it foraged in the unit while the sun was at our backs. I really enjoyed this excellent bird - the 36th shorebirds species found at Goose Pond FWA.

Goose Pond FWA--Main Pool West, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 15, 2017 9:45 AM - 4:26 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Disturbance B water n Shorebirds from SR 59 north of double ditches only.
28 species

Canada Goose 20
Blue-winged Teal 500
Northern Shoveler 100
Green-winged Teal 100
Double-crested Cormorant 10
American White Pelican 15
Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1
Great Egret 5
Bald Eagle 2
Sora 5 Heard from gp16
American Coot 100
Black-necked Stilt 50 Estimated
American Golden-Plover 255 Estimated
Semipalmated Plover 2
Killdeer 20 Estimated
Ruff 1 Reeve type continuing from yesterday when it was originally found by Jeff McCoy
Dunlin 100 Estimated
Least Sandpiper 25 Estimated
Pectoral Sandpiper 600 Estimated
Long-billed Dowitcher 20 Estimated
Wilson's Snipe 1
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Greater Yellowlegs 2
Lesser Yellowlegs 200 Estimated
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 4
Marsh Wren 2 Heard from gp16
Song Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 50

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35988085

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (/content/iss)

US-IN-Lyons-12001-12999 W 500 S - 38.9524x-87.1751, Greene, Indiana, US
Apr 15, 2017 4:45 PM
Protocol: Incidental
1 species

Cattle Egret 6 With cattle