Date: 4/15/17 11:20 pm
From: Barbara Combs <bcombs232...>
Subject: [obol] Vaux's Swifts Eugene - Agate Hall
Tonight I counted 260 Vaux's Swifts at Agate Hall in Eugene. There were no Cooper's Hawks to be found. The season is starting out well.

I took a look at previous data tonight and saw that in an earlier message I was a bit too pessimistic about how many swifts have been using Agate Hall in the recent past.

The spring and fall counting seasons last about seven weeks in the Eugene area. Some years the counting season last longer, and some years it is shorter.

In the fall of 2016, no swifts appeared on my weekly fall watches.

In the spring of 2016, there were a few nights with no swifts. The number of swifts exceeded 1,000 on only three nights.

In the fall of 2015, swifts appeared on only three nights.

In the spring of 2015, there were more than 7,000 swifts on four occasions.

In the fall of 2014, there were more than 10,000 swifts on one of the nights they were counted. Fall counts are generally expected to include more swifts than spring counts, because the fall counts include young-of-the-year.

Anyone who wants to see more detailed information can go to vauxhappening.org and click on the highlighted word "Data."

Barbara Combs
Lane County, OregonPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!