Date: 4/15/17 8:14 pm
From: Rob O'Connell <flashart123...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Springbrook Farm (Cumberland) Snipe invasion and Merlin
I went back by there today, having a little more time to spend and wanted
to see if I could find the Greater Yellowlegs that has been hanging around
lately. My pictures of it seemed to have more orange in the leg, and I
wanted to make sure it was just a trick of the light and not something
different. Scouring the area looking for it, I was amazed at the number of
Wilson's Snipe. I counted at least 9, however I believe there were more
than that around. The first ones I spotted were on the south side bank in
the grasses. They were pretty well hidden, brought out only by staring at
the area and watching for movement. I switched to look at the Green-Winged
Teal in the middle pond and found 4 Snipe behind them on the edge as well.
These afforded more distant but much more exposed views. Two more were
visible on the other side of the road all the way at the back of the brook.
A Great Blue Heron, 4 Turkey Vultures, some frisky Kildeer were around as
well. A single Tree Swallow swung through a couple of times but was not
present in my field of view more than a couple of times during the 30
minutes I was there. As I walked back to my truck, I heard a sharp chirp
and turned to watch a female Merlin fly about 20 off the pond from the road
all the way off in the direction of Tuttle Road.

Cheers,
Rob O'Connell