Date: 4/15/17 7:32 pm
From: Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...>
Subject: Ethics: Sensitive Species / Nesting Raptor Reporting
This has been posted on the various statewide Facebook groups due to some
recent situations and I also feel it is beneficial to share here...

NESTING RAPTORS/SENSITIVE SPECIES REPORTING: This has not been a good week
for the well-being of owls in a certain part our state. Several of us
received reports this week of an individual clearing brush on State Game
Lands in front of a increasingly-known cavity being used by Eastern
Screech-Owls to get closer for a picture. The Game Commission is aware of
this situation. Reports were also received today of individuals at the
location of a possible nesting Barred Owl pair playing vocalizations
attempting to draw the owls out and/or closer. This behavior is
unacceptable! Please keep information on nesting raptors/sensitive species
close hold and do not post to this group. Be mindful of who you are sharing
information with. Many of us wait until the breeding season has ended to
add information of this sort to eBird checklists. Please take time to
review this eBird link (
http://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1006789-guidelines-for-reporting-sensitive-species
) on "Guidelines for Reporting Sensitive Species" which includes the ABA
Code of Birding Ethics. Our actions as birders or photographers should not
be negatively impacting birds or jeopardizing their well-being!

ALSO...
If you're photographing birds, take time to read the article "Why Closer Is
Not Always Better When Photographing Birds" from Audubon @
http://www.audubon.org/news/why-closer-not-always-better-when-photographing-birds

"We can have a profound impact on the subjects we photograph in nature. The
urge to get close will always be there. In some cases these images feel
rewarding when we capture them. But it isn’t always better. Consider taking
a step back instead of forward. Consider the well-being of your subject
first. Consider watching your subject to glean greater understanding of its
behaviors, so that you can capture more unique images later. And consider
if an environmental shot showcasing your subject is better for both your
photography and the animal."

Regards,
Ted Nichols II
Annville, Pa. (Lebanon County)