Date: 4/15/17 7:31 pm
From: Alan Buriak <a_buriak...>
Subject: Spring arrivals, Allegheny County
Yesterday I had a Spotted Sandpiper hopping the rocks beyond the spit at Duck Hollow and today there was a Green Heron at Marshall Lake in North Park, giving "keowww" calls seemingly out of annoyance at all the people fishing nearby. Both appear to be the first county arrivals this year, at least from what has been reported. Also the last couple mornings there has been a Hermit Thrush singing for brief stints right in the middle of our suburban neighborhood in Gibsonia. A slightly weird occurrence but with the neighborhood built amongst many mature trees, we get sporadic occurrences of thrushes here, with Swainson's Thrush, Wood Thrush, and Veery all passing through in previous years. It was practicing its best ventriloquism, however, and I couldn't locate it. Do all birders get a "calm before the storm" feeling every year at this exact time? I feel like I need to play the theme from Rocky just to get myself ready!

Good birding,
Alan Buriak
Gibsonia, Allegheny County