Date: 4/15/17 6:52 pm
Subject: Weekend in South Carolina
I got off early from work Thursday school I hhave axed down to Huntington Beach SP to begin the weekend. I started early Friday morning and wasn't disappointed. The target bird was the Painted Bunting. Thanks to Frank (I don't remember a last name) he got me and another gentleman on a nice male. There was a flock of Least Terns feeding right near the causeway. I hadn't seen them since college in Nebraska back in the mid1980s.

I then went to Santee Costal Preserve. Someone had suggested it for migrants. There were a number of birds but mostly 2 billion mosquitoes that aren't phased by 25% deet.
I found an active Brown-headed Nuthatch raising a brood. That was nice to see.

This morning started off trying to get some shots of Red-cockated Woodpeckers. I had a family group of 4-5 birds but couldn't get any good shots. The best bird today was IDed at 65 mph. It was a Swallow-tailed Kite about 5 miles east of McCellandville west of Georgetown.

Tomorrow will start at Sandhills hoping for REd-cockated Woodpecker and Bachman's Sparrow photos.

Cheers and good birding.

Roger Moyer
Concord, NC

Join us on Facebook!