Date: 4/15/17 4:50 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (15 Apr 2017) Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 409 807

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Evelyn Fowles, Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Tom Brokaw, Evelyn Fowles, Mike Fowles, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy to Cloudy (90-100% cloud cover), Temps 52-63F, Winds S 5-10
mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“There is Nothing Worse than Wasted….”---
A prompt start…I watched, hoping for a repeat of yesterday early day hawk
movement. But nothing…except my Wawa coffee starter mug & bagel (with
berry cream cheese). My “clicker” was at the ready…well-lubed, ready for
action. The Barred Owls along Bucktoe Creek, which had entertained us so
thoroughly during last night’s “owl prowl,” hooted once. Eleven o’clock
arrived, still with no migrating hawks today – a well prepared ‘clicker’
being wasted. To borrow a partial line from - was it, a “Bronx Tale”(?) -
“There is nothing worse than a wasted clicker.” Or something like that!
Conditions were good today, too– light southerly wind, a complete bank of
background clouds to see them against. Now, it’s noon…still nothing.
You’re right! Another mug of coffee is in order! On it goes…
Tom arrived – in trouble, already…as usual. And late for something…or was
it late for everything, Tom? “Where are the people today?” asked Tom,
adding. “Well, it is Easter weekend and there are things to be done.”
“But where are the birds?” I say. “Birds don’t celebrate Easter, do they,
Tom?”
Late in the day, Mike & Evelyn arrived to see…you guessed it - no migrants.
They were able to enjoy one of our Palm Warblers. How could this be,
after the promise of yesterday? Well, it seems there was nothing worse
than wasted….
How do you alleviate a disappointing day of hawk watching? Why, with a
bouquet of flowers, of course. Kathleen arrived, vase in hand and off we
went. Spring Beauties, Cutleaf Toothwort, Bloodroot, Common Blue Violets,
Trout Lily, Virginia Bluebells soon made their way to our vase. The
Virginia Bluebells were newly emerged and “ablaze” in tranquil blue. While
collecting this stunning display of Bucktoe’s native blooms, our attention
was seized by the “wheezy” call note of a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. This bird
was building its nest in plain sight. So, everyone coming on tomorrow’s
Bucktoe walk (at 8am) with us will have a great look at a Gnatcatcher
building its marvelous nest! And see a beautiful native wildflower bouquet
gracing the shade of one of our picnic tables under the hawk watch
pavilion.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Heron, 2-Barred Owl, 4-N.
Rough-winged Swallow, 1-Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 2-Brown Thrasher, 5-Palm
Warbler, 1-Savannah Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (0);
Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.11; Steps: 19,031; Floors:
30.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 86
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks pretty good some clouds, but mostly sunny, warm
strong SW winds. Anyone else thinking an early season Mississippi Kite? I
am!!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: