Date: 4/15/17 4:07 pm
From: john kendall <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Kanakee River Valley areas Golden Plovers, Broad-wings, LBDO's, and other shorebirds
The Long-billed Dowitchers that I found and reported yesterday a.m. (gorgeous video later by Bob Huguenard) were still there near the Sod Farm this a.m. along with 100 Yellowlegs and 500 Pectorals.  Many of the Yellowlegs at that site were flying northward at 7: 15 a.m. and as Jeff McCoy told me "the shorebirds were antsy all day, leaving".
The shorebird count at Kankakee FWA was disappointing-about 1/3 or less of what I saw yesterday early afternoon, although 3 Brewer's Blackbirds were next to the flooded field on 2100 S.  I did have a couple of Broad-winged Hawks above the river in mid to late a.m. and a Merlin at 2400 S/800W LaPorte Co. along with 3 Bald Eagles. The usual Henslow's and Lark Sparrows were found at Kankakee Sands in the afternoon, but my highlight was 280 Golden Plovers flying north from 500W/400 N area and then two groups totaling 200 birds east of I-65 on SR 14-also flying north and low.
John KendallWarsaw

Join us on Facebook!