Date: 4/15/17 4:00 pm
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Saylorville birds
Hey I-Birders,

Karen and I walked around the Cottonwood Recreation Area below the
Saylorville Dam this morning and encountered several migrants along the
way. There were singing BROWN THRASHERS (FOY for me), a couple small
flocks of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and a single ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER.
Further along near the pond at the picnic area were two TREE SWALLOWS and a
WARBLING VIREO. On our way home we heard from the car window a
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER in the sycamores at the west end of the NW 66th
bridge (under construction), so I backtracked and we easily found him and
enjoyed his merry cascading solo. A NORTHERN PARULA in the same tree
seemed a rival to his singing and was also easily observed as the trees are
only threatening to leaf out thus far. SWAMP and LINCOLN'S SPARROW and
HOUSE WREN were also seen and heard. Closer to home, a BROAD-WINGED HAWK
has been calling in the forest behind our house this afternoon. What a
great time of spring to go out- never knowing exactly what new returnees to
expect.

Good Birding,

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines