Date: 4/15/17 3:57 pm
From: Lee Schoenewe <lschoe...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Good migration timing
As the rain clouds broke late this morning I approached a good sheetwater
spot in northern Clay County. There were five Am Pipits and a couple of
Killdeer as I stepped out of my vehicle but nothing else. Then 9 Greater
Yellowlegs came in and closely thereafter 28 Am Golden Plovers. They all
left and a flock of 12 Pectorals and 2 peeps circled the water but kept on
moving north. Then in short order: 6 Greater Yellowlegs; 11 Lesser
Yellowlegs; and 4 Greater Yellowlegs all came as separate groups and left
again with none of these flocks spending more than a couple of minutes on
their feet in the shallow water. Either nothing to hold them or antsy to
keep moving in their focused spring migration but this all occurred in less
than a half hour.

Later at Trumbull Lake there was one Eared Grebe, five Horned Grebes and one
Red-necked Grebe amongst lots of coots, PBG's and plenty of waterfowl. Boy,
are they all handsome in breeding plumage. An Am Bittern was also there
vocalizing. Tomorrow there will be Happy Easter eggs!

Lee A. Schoenewe

Spencer