Date: 4/15/17 3:05 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] NW Ind. (15-Apr-2017). Long-billed Dowitchers
Today (15-Apr-2017) John Cassady, Randy Pals, Lynn Vernon, and I birded a number of northwest Indiana sites. Jeff McCoy joined us after the Green Tower.

It was unseasonably warm (84ºF) with powerful (30+ knot) southerly winds. During the afternoon the wind seriously interfered with our birding.

—DUNES S.P. GREEN TOWER (with Brendan Grube, Brad Bumgardner, and others)
Brendan has posted a complete list on eBird, but we especially enjoyed the Broad-winged Hawks and Orange-crowned Warbler.

—S. LaPORTE COUNTY CR 1400S (this is the site that Bob Huguenard reported from yesterday)
Mallard,30
Northern Shoveler, 12
Northern Pintail,10
Lesser Yellowlegs,5
Long-billed Dowitcher,4

—KANKAKEE FWA (LaPorte Co- met John Felton)
Green-winged Teal,55
Turkey Vulture,12
American Golden-Plover,248- 10% were in molt
Killdeer,2
Greater Yellowlegs,6
Lesser Yellowlegs,5
Pectoral Sandpiper,372
Dunlin,6

—RAMSEY LANDING (s. Porter Co on Kankakee River)
Great shorebird habitat, but virtually no birds.
Turkey Vulture,1
Killdeer,8
Spotted Sandpiper,1

—BEVERLY SHORES LAKEFRONT (elevated lot)
Red-breasted Merganser,10
Double-crested Cormorant,8
Ring-billed Gull,6
White-breasted Nuthatch,1