Date: 4/15/17 2:17 pm
From: Paul Peterson <petersonpaul63...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Burrage Pond Highlights 4/14
Hi,
I birded from 12:00-7:00, covering several miles. I birded extensively the back ponds and trails. There was a guy trudging through the wetlands in boots saying he was "scouting" for the October bow-hunting season! According to him, large bucks like to bed down on the bog mats. I hope he doesn't disturb the Sandhill Cranes and other marsh birds that nest here. He had never been here before. His truck read "Don't mess with Texas".

Great Egret 3
Great Blue Heron 20
Wood Duck 4
Ring-necked Duck 58
Osprey 1+
Turkey Vulture 1
Bald Eagle 1 adult way off in distance
Northern Harrier 1+
Sandhill Crane 1 seen briefly as it dropped in to cattails in northwest area
Killdeer 1 chased by tree swallow
Pectoral Sandpiper 2 feeding on mudflats a bit beyond first opening to Burrage Pond; one chased by tree swallow
American Woodcock 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Tree Swallow 250
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Pine Warbler 8
Yellow-rumped Warbler 10
Palm Warbler 16
Swamp Sparrow 8
Field Sparrow 1
Savannah Sparrow 6
Eastern Towhee 6 incl. two near train tracks
Spotted Turtle 4
Painted Turtle 150
Northern Watersnake 1
spring peeper gazillion
Green Frog 4
American Toad 1
Pickerel Frog 20 heard growling throughout area
red squirrel 1
vole or shrew 1 cutie not averse to water!

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Join us on Facebook!