Date: 4/14/17 7:08 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (14 Apr 2017) 91 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 91 409 807

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi, Susan Corkran

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (26): Kathleen Pileggi, Carol Spease, Tim Zador, Stacey Gummey
(plus 20 Springtime Adventurers & support staff), Susan Corkran.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy to Partly Cloudy (90-25% cloud cover), Temps 50-62F, Winds
Light & Variable

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (45) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Predators, some on the move, some hanging around,
giving a hoot”---
A local Red-tailed Hawk lifted up off a snag, gaining altitude on what wind
there was and disappeared into the fairly low clouds of this morning. I
sipped my coffee, made on site. Now, this is living!
The “Springtime Adventurers” from TLC will be here again today. Hopefully
the skies will brighten as predicted and the Broad-winged Hawk migration,
beginning yesterday, will be witnessed by them.
Yesterday’s bright Savannah Sparrow appears to still be here, feeding on
the cracked corn sprinkled on the bare ground. While above them, our
hanging hummingbird feeders await their first visitor. As do I. The
second, less spectacularly plumaged, Savannah Sparrow visits Bucktoe Basin,
our “incredible water feature.” Carol arrived…hawks beware! She’s a great
spotter!
At 10:30 we see a kettle of Broad-wings directly overhead, building to 39
birds with various stragglers. Where’s my “clicker?”
TLC’s Stacey & Tim, along with 17 Springtime Adventurers” and 3 support
staff ate lunch and saw hawks with us. One little boy, Cliff, even spotted
two Broad-winged Hawks soaring high above! Full-partial credit to you,
Cliff. You’re a future hawk watcher, for sure!
This afternoon, 2 Ravens playfully flew through, soaring then swooping on
an unsuspecting Black Vulture. Susan Corkran was here…and NO FOG! lol
Broad-wings continued thru the morning with the count ending at 64 - pretty
good early-season flight for this species. After the watch, we helped Tim
conduct the Owl Prowl at Bucktoe, where “our” Barred Owls did not
disappoint. We had them in view, watching them fly around hunting and
calling to one-another for at least an hour. It was great!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Double-crested Cormorant, 1-Great Blue
Heron, 2-COMMON RAVEN, 2-N. Rough-winged Swallow, 2-Brown Thrasher, 2-Palm
Warbler, 2-Savannah Sparrow, 14-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur.
Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.13; Steps: 14,391; Floors:
14.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 86
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like perhaps a repeat of today with light southerly
winds.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: