Date: 4/14/17 9:14 am
From: Rob Hodgson <robhodgson888...>
Subject: Re: Stilt Sandpiper, American Golden Plover, Long-Billed Dowitcher, Dunlin, Miller's Ponds, Crawford County
Ted,

Regarding the birds today, all 3 dowitchers had a very noticeable hunch-backed appearance when feeding, as opposed to the more straight-backed appearance one would expect with short-billed. I didn't see any of the earlier reported birds, so not sure if these birds are continuing or not. We'll attach some photos to the ebird report later that demonstrate this posture. There also didn't appear to be a discernible kink at the end of the bill.

The second thing is, a couple years ago there was an exchange from Cornell concerning April dowitcher reports. The gist of their message was, while short-billed are starting to show up on the coast in April, inland birds this time of year are much more likely to be long-billed.

So with the birds today, we started out with the probability they were long-billed, and then used the feeding/hunch back posture to confirm. A call would have of course been nice. The one report that had them as long-billed noted that they heard the call.

Rob Hodgson

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 14, 2017, at 11:47 AM, Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...> wrote:
>
> Using this as an opportunity to get some feedback from those that bird Miller's regularly as recent reports have had me wondering....
>
> Curious how birders are separating Long-billed from Short-billed Dowitcher for their recent reports at Miller's? Not sure what the spring trend is up that way.
>
> It seems that over the last week or so 3 dowitchers have continued to be reported at Miller's, but with most birders logging them as Short-billed.
>
> There was only one other report of 3 Long-billed in this recent period and that was sandwiched in between a bunch of continuing reports of 3 Short-billed.
>
> Thanks for any context anyone can add!
>
> Regards,
> Ted Nichols II
> Annville, Pa. (Lebanon County)
>
>> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 09:13 Rob Hodgson <robhodgson888...> wrote:
>> Ken Pinnow and I are at Miller's Ponds now and have the following birds of note:
>>
>> 1 Stilt Sandpiper (likely continuing)
>> 1 American Golden Plover
>> 3 Long-billed Dowitchers
>> 4 Dunlin