Date: 4/14/17 9:11 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park and nearby NW Branch Park, April 14
Hi all,

A bit late this year starting WRP, it it has been very strange weather. Unfortunately today, just as we arrived, it became overcast, and stayed that way the whole time we were birding. Of course it immediately became sunny again as soon as we left! WRP really needs sun to get the birds out to the edges -

Best birds were actually not seen in the park proper, but at the old bridge crossing NW Branch. Here we had our first Louisiana Waterthrush of the season, a pair of nest-building Phoebes, and an unexpected Yellow-crowned Night heron just downstream. Otherwise, good numbers of Gnatcatchers, Towhees, Flickers and a heard-only Black-and-White Warbler near the Nature Center.

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

36 species
Best birds

Wood Duck 2 Pair, female perched on wood duck box.
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron 1 At NW Branch bridge
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Belted Kingfisher 1
Northern Flicker 6
Eastern Phoebe 2