Date: 4/13/17 5:50 pm
From: Don Morgan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Bston Hollow/Yale forest, Ashford/Union % FOY in the area today
Windy, cloudy and cold, rather nasty day to be out of the car. But 5 new
species for the year in the area today. 1st Mallard (odd, usually a few
around) 1st Great Blue Heron, which are now pretty much back in their breeding
areas (7 nests occupied in Eastord at the marsh with the Osprey).
FOY for me were 1 Palm Warbler, 1 hermit Thrush and 2 singing Blue-headed
Vireos, which EBird says are still rare in the area. Not sure I've ever had
them any earlier in CT. However, I did report 2, FOY for April 15, 2015
and I don't think EBird found that rare then. These could possibly have been
there on the 12th, since I was not.

Apr 13, 2017 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
Comments: Windy and cold. Some species less vocal and or harder to
hear than usual
33 species

Mallard 1 FOY in BHYF
Great Blue Heron 1 FOY in BHYF
Turkey Vulture 5
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Mourning Dove 8
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 7
Downy Woodpecker 3
Eastern Phoebe 15
Blue-headed Vireo 2 FOY 2 singing In Ashford near Barlow Mill Rd.
Possibly the earliest I've found them in Ct
Blue Jay 10
American Crow 3 2nd time I've found them in the area this year.
Uncommon there, because the Ravens don't like to share their territory I think.
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 15
Tufted Titmouse 15
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Brown Creeper 3
Winter Wren 2
Eastern Bluebird 2
Hermit Thrush 1 FOY
American Robin 18
Louisiana Waterthrush 6
Palm Warbler 1 FOY
Pine Warbler 12
Dark-eyed Junco 2 39 Barlow Mill. Most of them are gone now.
Song Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 2
Red-winged Blackbird 7
Common Grackle 1
Brown-headed Cowbird 15 Mostly calling in the woods near Boston
Hollow Rd
American Goldfinch 3

Don Morgan
Coventry, Ct