Date: 4/13/17 4:59 pm
From: Richard Hollis <xiboia...>
Subject: [ia-bird] PUFI Johnson question
I had two what I thought were female Purple Finches spend a good bit of today, off and on, at my feeders. They both lacked a bit of the crisp brown and white I expect for female PUFIs, but I did not think much of their sex until I looked at the photos, These are 2 from a series of frames I took when both were side by side. The bird on my left clearly has a bit of colored wash on it throat and on the under its shoulder. The bird on the right has much more subtle hints of color, but it is there.

So is this what some females look like, or are these young males or what. I invite comment.

Rick Hollis

rural North Liberty, IA