Date: 4/13/17 2:26 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (12 Apr 2017) 21 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 21 277 675

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (29): Howard Campbell, Rick Casey, Stacey Gummey (plus her TLC
Springtime adventurers group of 24 children & support staff), Kathleen
Pileggi, Tim Zador.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR

Weather:
Cloudy with Drizzle, then Mostly Cloudy (100-75% cloud cover), Temps
62-71F, Winds NW 10-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 7-Red-tailed Hawk, 2-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (35) and Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Thanks, for the Memories”---
Howard arrived very early this morning, ambling down the trail to our site
– lunch box in hand. Howard knew the area that would become Bucktoe Creek
Preserve when it was a pig farm & potato farm, back as a child of 12 or 13,
in 1950. He used to hunt the meadows and swim its streams. Knew the
legend of “Bucktoe Mike”…. earned $3 and 2 meals per day, picking potatoes.
I’m figuring the meals were the “big payoff,” right Howard? Well, today
Howard “picked” out the first hawk of the day – a Cooper’s – at “his” old
pig & potato farm. Go ahead; grab yourself a celebratory pretzel, Howard –
but just a small one. After all, it was “only” a Cooper’s Hawk!
Stacey and Tim from TLC arrived with her “Springtime Adventurers” group of
18 children (~4-5 year olds) and 7 support staff. It was fun searching for
“critters” under the logs here with this curious group. Oh, to be a child
again…with this energy and curiosity raging within! They had been busy
catching tadpoles on the ponds, now they were hoping for some hawks. How I
hoped for a low-flying adult Bald Eagle to now come by. But the best I
could muster up was a couple of Sharpies and 7 Red-tailed Hawks in the air
at once. Rick arrived and seeing the throng (of children, not hawks),
thought better of approaching. CHICKEN! Nice try - you still owe us a
dinner, there Rick (lol). This gang will be back again on Friday.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Belted Kingfisher, 2-N. Rough-winged
Swallow, 2-Brown Thrasher, 3-Palm Warbler, 18-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, American Lady. Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (1): American Toad. Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.53; Steps: 12,965; Floors:
24.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season: 85
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: