Date: 4/13/17 4:28 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (11 Apr 2017) 13 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 13 256 654

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Majors, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (15): Gwen Lacy (plus four), Carol Majors, Ron Majors, Becky
Meister, Kathleen Pileggi, Sequoia Rock (plus three), Ian Stewart, Tim
Zador.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (0-50% cloud cover), Temps 62-81F, Winds SW 5-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“You have arrived”---
Funny story. When going anywhere, I always use my GPS - even when I go to
the corner store. One day, a few years ago, we were going to a spot for a
Vesper Sparrow that I had saved as “Vesper Sparrow” in my “saved locations”
in the GPS. Well, Destiny - I’ve named my GPS Destiny…because what other
name would you give a woman giving you directions in a car? Careful… a
few other “choice names” were soon to come to me, too. Anyway, Destiny
picked this time to go tone deaf. She totally ignored me as we made our
way, as best we could by memory to the place we’d been only once before.
We made many wrong turns, drove miles out of our way…no help came from
Destiny. We eventually made a turn, “Hey, this looks familiar, Kathleen!”
Through it all, Destiny remained silent. Finally, the meadow where the
Vesper Sparrow had been seen by us once before. Now, and only now, came
that voice I had longed to hear. “You have arrived.” Destiny piped in.
Totally worthless – we also didn’t get the sparrow.
That had been my funniest GPS related story…until today. I had one to
rival it today…on the way to the Hawk Watch.
I have my phone’s ring tone set to notify me of incoming messages, etc. set
to “Baah” as a sheep. I figure, I’ll not ignore it and wonder, “Hey, who
let a sheep in here?” Thereby answering the message, I normally have a
tendency to miss. Well, it works for me, anyway. Today an unexpected new
twist. Habitually, I turned on my GPS, Destiny, quietly making my way to
Bucktoe. Shortly, there came from my phone a loud, “Baah!” To which a
response promptly came – not from me, but Destiny! “Name a place you want
to go?” MY GPS was talking to MY PHONE. There are very many times Destiny
won’t even talk to me – as evidenced by my previous Vesper Sparrow story.
Destiny pretends not to hear me, turns a deaf ear. “WOMEN!” I’ve even
tried yelling at her – sometimes with colorful language – to no avail.
Lately, I’ve tried whispering sweet nothings, “Home, Destiny.” Those sweet
whispers have worked amazingly well – usually. But today…today she was
tuned into the sheep-eze that my phone was speaking. One can only wonder
where my phone was going to have Destiny take her. Likely to a nice green
field in Doe Run to graze. They would have secreted off somewhere and my
GPS and phone would have been “on the lamb.” “WOMEN,” I say again! Just
when I’m getting properly ignored, she listens to everything, even sweet
nothings…Now, she’s taking my phone somewhere. Just when I’ve gotten just
a bit tech-savvy, my phone runs off with my GPS, likely never see either of
them again! I’ll be lost, and with no way to even call for help! This
stuff only happens to me? Anyone else?
Carol & Ron found their way here today – must have a new GPS. Amazing
these two world travelers are even in the country.
The season’s first Black Swallowtail and Orange Sulphur both flew quickly
past all of us.
An invasion from TLC today – Tim, Sequoia, and three new interns were
first. Just a bit later came Director, Gwen and three gals with “Chris”
as a component to their names….I’m not quite quick enough with the “new
math” to have caught it all… Well, at least “I have arrived.”
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 2-Great Blue Heron, 1-Barred Owl, 1-Brown
Thrasher, 2-Palm Warbler, 10-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
Black Swallowtail, Orange Sulphur. Dragonflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians
(1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.71; Steps: 15,734; Floors:
35.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 85
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: