Date: 4/12/17 7:20 pm
Subject: Black-chinned Hummingbird Update
Hi All,

After returning to Beaufort, NC late yesterday, I staked out the feeders at
my shop from around 5:30 until 7:00 PM without seeing the Black-chinned
Hummingbird. This morning, I put out the cleaned and freshly filled
feeders at 6:00 AM and watched until after 8:00 AM without seeing him. I
then went to Forest Service Road to listen to warblers. I returned to open
the store and kept a doubtful eye on the feeders thinking the hummingbird
was gone. At around 3:19 PM I photographed a hummingbird on the back
feeder that appeared quite different from the one I had seen Friday, and I
mistakenly assumed it to be a Ruby-throated Hummingbird. I was busy
working until I saw a hummingbird on the window feeder around 4:30 PM that
I also photographed. When I zoomed in on the images I saw it was the
Black-chinned Hummingbird. I posted as quickly as I could. It came two
more times, the last was 5:04 PM. Unfortunately, it was not seen again by
the time a couple of local birders arrived. I stayed until 7:30 PM, seeing
only a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird at the feeder. I hope he comes
back tomorrow, and I will post as soon as I see him. Birders are always
welcome, but he is erratic. I would guess between 3 and 5 PM to be the
best chance, but who knows what tomorrow will bring. I have posted some
new photos on the Carolina Birds website. His molt has progressed quite a
bit since Friday!

Marty Wall
currently in Beaufort, NC

Join us on Facebook!