Date: 4/12/17 4:55 pm
From: Kate StJohn <0000000f59b962a9-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Friendship Hill, Fayette
Four of us went birding and flower-looking today at Friendship Hill National Historic Site near New Geneva, PA.
Highlights were: first of year (for me) ruby-crowned kinglets and blue-gray gnatcatchers, two female hairy woodpeckers "jousting" on each side of a tree branch, yellow-throated warbler, yellow-bellied sapsucker and yellow-rumped warbler and an adult red-shouldered hawk patrolling the area while an immature red-shouldered passed through.
Complete checklist of 36 species is here:http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35908467
The redbuds were gorgeous!
There are many flowers blooming.   (listed here in no particular order so that I have them written somewhere.)Leaves of American baneberry(no flowers yet), purple deadnettle, yellow violets, blue violets, Canada violets (maybe...hard to ID), blue cohosh, cutleaf and regular toothwort, yellow corydalis, squirrel corn and Dutchmans breeches, large-flowered and toad trillium, wake robin (nodding red trillium), ground ivy,star chickweed, trout lily, small-flowered crowfoot, smooth rock cress, wild geranium, wild ginger, Virginia bluebells, dwarf larkspur, Carolina and regular spring beauty, golden ragwort.
 Kate St. John, Pittsburgh
Visit my bird/nature blog at birdsOutsideMyWindow.org

Join us on Facebook!