Date: 4/12/17 4:00 pm
From: Rick Bowes <rbowes...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 4/8 Duxbury Beach & Bluefish River
A mostly sunny morning with a strong wind which largelykept small birds
under cover. Missed shorebirds as the tide was high and the WNW wind
probably induced them to be on the ocean side protected somewhat by the
dune. Though no surprises today it was fun to see the winter/basic plumages
and "bare spots" brightening up strikingly in some cases in anticipation of
breeding. The bright blue water set off many of the "regulars" as jewels to
be appreciated not to be taken for granted! Vivid Surf Scoters, Black
Scoters, Long-tailed Ducks, Red-breasted Mergansers, Brant, Common Goldeneye
and Common Eiders were near the road and in great light; even the normally
bright Buffleheads seemed brighter today (of course the sun helps!). Also
of note were three Tree Sparrows which are typically gone by now. Full
eBird list with pix at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35790703.

Also, at the Bluefish River bridge area, I had my first Duxbury Snowy Egret
of the year (a beauty hanging out with an equally handsome Common Egret) and
first Belted Kingfisher of the year. Photos in eBird list at
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35790312.

Rick Bowes, Duxbury, MA

<mailto:<rbowes...> <rbowes...>

Duxbury Beach info at http://www.duxburybeach.com/visit.htm