Date: 4/12/17 2:50 pm
From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Squirrel eats bird
Last spring I stepped out of the house and saw an eastern type squirrel walking away with a junco in its mouth. I don't know if the junco died first and the squirrel found it or if the squirrel captured it, I would guess the former. It climbed up a large big-leaf maple and out of sight so I don't know if it dined on the bird or not. It was a surprise to me as I have never seen a squirrel with a bird before.

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR

________________________________
Sender: <obol-bounce...>

Dan Gleason

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 9:01 AM, "<woodenapple...>" <woodenapple...> wrote:
>
> Obolists,
>
> Word of warning for the squeamish: The following isn't breakfast fare.
>
> Just a few minutes ago, around 8:30 a.m., while I was drinking my coffee and looking out into our N. Eugene/Santa Clara-area backyard, a Yellow-rumped Warbler struck our glass sliding door with enough force to kill itself on impact. Within a couple of minutes, before I had a chance to remove the remains, one of our resident red squirrels came up and inspected the dead bird. After just a couple of sniffs, it proceeded to consume the entire head with me watching from less than two meters away! I was curious how much of the bird the squirrel would eat but am unable to report this since it ran off with the rest of its prize.
>
> I've heard reports of squirrels consuming nestlings, but I'd never actually observed any carnivorous behavior until now. I don't know whether it's noteworthy that the behavior was as a scavenger rather than predatory.
>
> Rudi
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>
> OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol<http://www.freelists.org/archive/obol>
> Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>