Date: 4/12/17 1:55 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (10 Apr 2017) 14 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 14 243 641

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gary Stolz, Kathleen Pileggi, Tim Zador

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (19): Stacey Gummey and the TLC Springtime Adventurers group of
15, Tim Zador, Gary Stolz, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny to Partly Cloudy (0-50% cloud cover), Temps 55-74F, Winds SSW
10-15 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 2-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (45) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“You Look Sharpie in that Sweater”---
First stop today – the local Giant Grocery Store for Soda, Ice for my
coolers, Ground Coffee, Coffee Creamer, and the spontaneous purchase of a
desperately needed lawn shade umbrella. I hadn’t known I needed it so
desperately, until entering the store. Those purchases ever happen to you?
(lol) The umbrella will screen my laptop so I can see it in the bright
sun. I hope. Hey, it was the right color (green) and it will replace the
one destroyed last year at the site. Some things are just meant to happen.

The sun was very bright today, to start…not enough background clouds for my
liking. A Red-shouldered Hawk was screaming in the valley, while a
Red-tailed Hawk was doing the same high overhead. Taking this all in - I
ate my Wawa bagel (with berry cream cheese).
Today the Barred Owl began calling at 11am, although the calling was far
more sporadic than yesterday’s.
Tim, Gary & Stacey came up with their “Springtime Adventurers” group of 14
children from TLC, having heard the owl. They were having fun, enjoying
nature while eating lunch. They did a departing bird call in unison, just
for me – a fine & welcome murder of crows, it was.
Kathleen was out today and brought some knitting to do. How peaceful is
that scene? She knit, while outside soaking in some vitamin D, hearing
nature, and seeing hawks…
“Look over the woods – a Sharpie!” Kathleen said, mid pearl.
Kathleen returned to her sweater, not having missed a stitch. How many
women can do that? You’re a double threat, Kathleen!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Great Blue Heron, 2-Barred Owl, 2-Brown
Thrasher, 2-Palm Warbler, 10-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
American Lady. Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (2): Spring Peeper,
American Toad. Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.58; Steps: 13,094; Floors:
24.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season: 85
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: