Date: 4/12/17 1:00 pm
Subject: South Mountains State Park Whip-poor-wills
 Hiked in to Sawtooth campsite late yesterday, my first post-fire visit to the park. At dusk, a Whip-poor-will began singing close by in the adjacent woods (not fire damged) followed by 3 more simultaneously within earshot over 5 minutes! The singing from one or more continued until dawn. All the calls I heard were easily within 200 yards. I had one 30' from me in the open field singing, and another that spent the entire night in the open field 50' from my tent! Im going to assume that this concentration of birds is related to the 6000+ acres of burned out ground cover in the park which certainly puts a squeeze on prime breeding areas, but it's great to know that they're still in the park.
George AndrewsIndian Trail, NC

Sent from my LG G4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Join us on Facebook!