Date: 4/12/17 10:26 am
From: Linda Fink <linda...>
Subject: [obol] ditto on Fox/Song Sparrow confusion
I am so glad others had trouble with this. I started birding regularly
in college in Illinois. When Johnny and I first moved to Oregon in 1969,
we met other birders in the Salem area, went on a Christmas count, and
gave a large number of Fox Sparrows and no Song Sparrows in the wrap-up.
Some very kind lady came up and asked if the sparrows were all in one
group or single. I said single here and there. She just smiled and
thanked me. It was years later I learned that all those sparrows that I
thought were Fox Sparrows, were really Song Sparrows. It's reassuring to
know that others have made the same mistake and to know I could blame it
on field guides, except I doubt I ever consulted one because I *knew*
what Fox Sparrows looked like, for goodness sake. Except I didn't.

Linda Fink, who has made many more mistakes since then...
--

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!