Date: 4/12/17 7:56 am
From: Doug Wentzel <djw105...>
Subject: April 12th Migration Morning bird walk at Shaver's Creek; and Birding Cup news.
Greetings all,

The rain showers cleared out over Stone Valley in time for our walk this morning. Seventeen of us observed the lake and strolled the boardwalk trail; group highlights included adult Bald Eagle, Northern Shoveler, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Rudy-crowned Kinglet, Common Loon, singing Brown Creeper and a flight of swallows (Northern Rough-winged and Barn Swallow FOY for many of us). Thanks to Wiscoy for Animals for their support of Migration Morning program, and four remaining Wednesdays to go.

Birding Cup teams are making plans and finalizing team rosters and routes — and of course beginning to officially register for the May 5th and 6th event (hint, hint; http://www.shaverscreek.org/public-programs-and-events/birding-cup/birding-cup-team-registration/ <http://www.shaverscreek.org/public-programs-and-events/birding-cup/birding-cup-team-registration/>). I’m looking forward to learning this year’s team names and hoping we can come close to last year’s record setting 127 birders on 27 teams. I’ve included the team collection photo for inspiration. This year we are raising awareness and funds for bird-friendly glass in our renovated and expanded visitor center.

all the best,
Doug

Shaver's Creek Env. Center--Boardwalk, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, US
Apr 12, 2017 6:50 AM - 8:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)

48 species

Canada Goose 4
Wood Duck 10
Mallard 4
Northern Shoveler 4
Bufflehead 7
Red-breasted Merganser 4
Common Loon 4
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Horned Grebe 5
Turkey Vulture 2
Bald Eagle 1
Ring-billed Gull 1
Mourning Dove 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 6
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Blue Jay 4
American Crow 2
Common Raven 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 3
Tree Swallow 115 Bird counted as they perched on wires over Lake Perez (conservative count).
Barn Swallow 2
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 3
White-breasted Nuthatch 1