Date: 4/11/17 10:38 pm
From: Joshua Rose <opihi...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] migrant activity in the Valley
Hi MassBirders,

I knew it was going to be a good day when it started with a Louisiana Waterthrush singing along Amethyst Brook, heard through the open bathroom window!

Followed that up with a Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher on the Deerfield side of the Canalside Rail Trail Bridge, heard while I was walking the dog, seen with a little effort. eBird tagged this as unusual, but the species was observed in all three Pioneer Valley counties today, as Jonathan Pierce had one in the Hadley Honeypot, and Michele Moore added another at the Stebbins Refuge in Longmeadow.

My favorite moment of the day, though, was seeing two FOY species perched on the same wire less than 10 feet apart, on Wills Ferry Road in Montague. The first was a Barn Swallow. I didn’t recognize the second at first, but after hearing it sing, and then getting a better look, realized that it was a Vesper Sparrow. (I also spotted a very cool butterfly, a Milbert’s Tortoiseshell, on another road not far away from there)

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA