Date: 4/11/17 6:57 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (09 Apr 2017) 22 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 22 229 627

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (12): Tom Brokaw, Laureen Eick-Benson, Mike Fowles, Mike Gardner,
Jean-Marie Gauthier, Lana Glass, Meghann Matwichuk, Sue McLaughlin, Jayne
Nonn, Kathleen Pileggi, Jeff Wahl.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Temps 54-64F, Winds WSW 5-10 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 2-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (25) and Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“AH, THOSE AWKWARD TEENAGE YEARS!”---
Kathleen & I joined the regular Bucktoe Sunday morning walk first thing
today…
I am so excited – we are to have several good days of weather. In a row!
How can this be?
Barred Owls began hooting at 10:25am, continuing off and on throughout the
remainder of the day.
Kestrels appear to have taken the nesting box in the meadow along Sharp
Road.
Upon completion of their walk, Mike and the gang all stopped up and watched
me enjoy a cup of field-brewed coffee from my drip coffee maker. They
reported the season’s first Baltimore Oriole just 100 yards away. Somehow
I had missed it singing. I’ll have to be more “tuned in,” I suppose.
I notice our throng of immature White-crowned Sparrows is beginning to molt
into adult plumage. They are at that awkward age we all were at when
teenagers – not quite refined enough to pull it off. I only had one adult
since fall. Filling the feeders, I run into a small flock of warblers
consisting of Palm, Pine and Yellow-rumps. Quick…where’s Susan?

New Birds were a flock of 19 Double-crested Cormorants (species #84) and
Barn Swallow was welcomed back as #85.
The typical early season butterfly list was enhanced by American Lady, a
Mourning Cloak whisking its way through our site, and late in the day, the
season’s first Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.
My field office was in full operation today…a mobile hot spot with many
emails going out, power with my new power converter powering and charging
laptops, cell phones and tablets. All while watching hawks and doing
reports, blogging. What a world!!
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 19-Double-crested Cormorant, 2-Northern
Rough-winged Swallow, 1-Barn Swallow, 1-Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 1-Brown
Thrasher, 2-Yellow-rumped Warbler, 2-Pine Warbler, 2-Barred Owl, 6-Palm
Warbler, 15-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Eastern Tiger
Swallowtail, Clouded Sulphur, Mourning Cloak, American Lady. Dragonflies
(0); Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 8.41; Steps: 19,735; Floors:
33.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 50; this season: 85
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Double-crested Cormorant, Barn Swallow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: