Date: 4/11/17 2:22 pm
From: Brian Johnson <buntingrobinjay...>
Subject: [cobirds] Ravens Vs Magpies at North Table Mountain, Jefferson County
Yesterday I went for a walk up North Table Mountain, I had not been there
before and got to add a Merlin toy my Jefferson County List along with a
Horned lark, which in fact scampered out onto the trail in front of me,
rather cooperative bird really. The most interesting thing however was when
I was walking along the North Table Trail above the Coors Plant and got to
watch a lone raven taken on some magpies. The raven drove away one magpie
than went into a crevice along the mesa and for a second I was thinking it
was going into a nest but before I finished that thought out poped anther
magpie, with the raven in pursuit. Eventually the magpies, 8 in all,
gathered up away from the raven. I was surprised they did not mob the raven
together. I think the raven was driving them away from a potential nest
site, but what ever it was, it was a rather fun thing to watch.
Brian
Englewood, Arapahoe CO