Date: 4/11/17 12:01 pm
From: Marcia Watson <marshwren50...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Lolal Oberman
Great story. Glad he got the fish.

Marcia
------------
Marcia Watson
Patuxent Bird Club
Maryland Ornithological Society

Bowie, Maryland
<marshwren50...>


> On Apr 11, 2017, at 1:15 PM, Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...> wrote:
>
> So sad to hear about Lola, we remember her well coming to the Montgomery Bird Club with Ted. For years she fielded inquiries to ANS from the public about "strange birds" they had seen, and would often check them out personally. She once asked us to check out a report of Red Crossbills in Bethesda, unfortunately we never found them.
>
> There was one funny story I recall - she received a frantic call for a woman in Potomac that "a Bald Eagle flew into my window and is unconscious on my patio!" Lola was sure this would turn out to be a Red-shoulder or some other lesser raptor, but she drove out there anyway. The house turned out to be a Potomac mansion. The caller met her at the front door - "he came to and is sitting on a patio chair." Lola was led through the house to the back, where an expansive window overlooked a flagstone patio with wrought-iron furniture. Sitting on the back of one of the chairs was a magnificent adult Bald Eagle, with a spot of blood on its white head. As they watched, the eagle took off and flew heavily away. Lola expressed some puzzlement as to why an eagle would fly into a picture window, but the woman said, "he was after my goldfish..." when Lola appeared skeptical, the woman added, " you have not seen my goldfish!" They went out into the patio, where under the window was a large fish pond, and in it, a single huge goldfish about 20" long! The homeowner said she had had the fish for years. Lola admitted that an eagle, flying overhead, could easily spot the bright orange fish and make a try for it. Anyway, that seemed to be the end of it until two weeks later, the woman called Lola back - "He came back and HE GOT IT! " ( apparently the eagle learned from his experience and dove in parallel to the window to snatch his dinner.)
>
> Gail Mackiernan
> Colesville, MD
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Apr 11, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Marcia Watson <marshwren50...> wrote:
>>
>> Rick,
>>
>> Thank you for sharing this sad news. Lola, as you say, was a very sweet woman and extremely knowledgeable. I didn't know about her political activities that are mentioned in her obituary. For those that want the link, it's at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?n=lola-oberman&pid=185033187
>>
>> Marcia
>> ------------
>> Marcia Watson
>> Patuxent Bird Club
>> Maryland Ornithological Society
>>
>> Bowie, Maryland
>> <marshwren50...>
>>
>>
>>> On Apr 11, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Warblerick <ricksussman1955...> wrote:
>>>
>>> For those who missed it, Lola Oberman passed away last week, at the age of 100. Her obituary can be found in the Washington Post online. She was a birder, very active in the Audubon Naturalist Society and the MD Ornithological Society thru the Montgomery Bird Club, as well as author of several books on her birding experiences and a monthly columnist for the ANS paper. She was a very sweet lady, very generous with her time, leading many field trips throughout the years, and will be greatly missed.
>>> Rick Sussman
>>> Woodbine, MD
>>>
>>> --
>>> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
>>> To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
>>> Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html
>> --
>> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
>> To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
>> Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html
> --
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
> To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
> Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

 
Join us on Facebook!