Date: 4/11/17 11:54 am
From: Larry Cartwright <prowarbler...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Ovenbirds and Pine Warbler
I went to Huntley Meadows today to check my bluebird boxes and on Phil
Silas's Ovenbird. I found it plus additional Ovenbirds singing along the
Pond Trail and the entrance to the Woodcock Meadow. The day started with a
confirmation that bluebirds are nest building in the new box 1 at the Kings
Highway parking lot. Next I found a singing Pine Warbler near the
maintenance building accompanied by a few Chipping Sparrows. More Chippers
were singing in the first meadow. Yellow-rumped Warblers sang at several
locations. After finding the Pond Trail Ovenbirds, a quick trip to the North
Marsh (path just ahead of the second Pond Trail entrance on the left side of
the Hike-Bike Trail) yielded three Red-headed Woodpeckers near the little
bridge and today's only Common Yellowthroat in the marsh. Then I ran into
Sherman Suter and Rich Rieger. And finally Sasha Munters joined the group.
We saw a nice flock of Rusty Blackbirds on the path leading to the water
control structure. Sasha pointed out a Green-winged Teal pair. I was
delighted at the number of Pied-billed Grebes remaining in the Central
Wetland and pondered if they might stay to breed considering current water
levels and habitat. It was an enjoyable day to be out, especially as the
breeding season is underway.

Huntley Meadows Park--Hike and Bike Trail, Fairfax, Virginia, US Apr 11,
2017 6:27 AM - 12:06 PM

Protocol: Traveling

1.5 mile(s)

Comments: Route consists of Hike-Bike and Pond Trails, Woodcock and
adjacent meadows, Central and North Wetlands, and Water Control Structure.
Weather was clear with light breeze and temperatures ranging from 60 to 79
degrees Fahrenheit.

45 species

Canada Goose 12

Wood Duck 4

Mallard 8

Green-winged Teal (American) 2

Pied-billed Grebe 4

Great Blue Heron (Blue form) 1

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1

Bald Eagle 1

American Coot 5

Mourning Dove 4

Red-headed Woodpecker 3 Near North Marsh

Red-bellied Woodpecker 17

Downy Woodpecker 5

Hairy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 1

Pileated Woodpecker 3

Eastern Phoebe 1

Blue Jay 30

Fish Crow 7

Tree Swallow 24

Barn Swallow 1

Carolina Chickadee 24

Tufted Titmouse 35

White-breasted Nuthatch 3

Carolina Wren 7

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 29

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4

Eastern Bluebird 2

Hermit Thrush 1

American Robin 19

Ovenbird 5 Mostly around Pond Trail. First of the year.

Common Yellowthroat 1

Pine Warbler 1 Singing near maintenance building

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 15

Chipping Sparrow 6

White-throated Sparrow 20

Song Sparrow 3

Swamp Sparrow 2

Eastern Towhee 12

Northern Cardinal 14

Red-winged Blackbird 11

Rusty Blackbird 48 Along marsh as viewed from trail to water control
structure.

Common Grackle (Purple) 2

Brown-headed Cowbird 14

American Goldfinch 23