Date: 4/10/17 11:19 pm
From: Richard <birdertoo...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Walk at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County)
Hello cobirders;

After riding in a car last week for 2160 miles, I needed a long walk today. I chose Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) and walked from the Cottonwood Creek wetlands restroom parking area to the Mountain Loop and back.

Target bird, the Eastern Bluebirds reported a few days ago were not found. No Western Kingbirds or American Tree Sparrows were found either.

Highlights came during the walk from the Prairie Loop parking area along Cottonwood Creek back to the wetlands pond.

First a Swamp Sparrow was found twenty feet south of the cottonwood tree with the nest in it (south of the paved path with now closed sign, footbridge has been washed out for months).

Continuing south, a Stub-tailed Wren popped out of the brush. The location was halfway between the end of the strip of willows south of above paved path and the footbridge along the cement bike path. It was just south of the skinny 10 foot tree.

I first played a Pacific Wren recording and received no response. Then I waited five minutes and played a Winter Wren recording. The Winter Wren popped out of the willows from the third time.

After the long walk, I drove to the eastern boat ramp upper parking area to rest. There was motion under the bushes southeast of the restroom as I stopped the car.

When I observed the Fox Sparrow days ago, the same thing occurred. Motion was spotted and after an hour, the Fox Sparrow emerged from under the bushes. After about 10 minutes, a male Ring-necked Pheasant came out. No Fox Sparrow was appeared during my hour stay.

Continued Good Birding!

Directions to birding spots and maps on CoBus website:
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

Richard Stevens; Director, Colorado Birding Society
Denver, Colorado
Contact CoBus/Report Interesting Birds: 303-324-7994
Subscribe to "cobirders" by sending blank email to:
<cobirders-subscribe...>
Read "cobirders" at: