Date: 4/10/17 7:37 pm
From: <badgerboy...>
Subject: Expert (and other) opinions wanted on pictures: Chuck?
Last fall (10/16) 4 pictures were taken of a suspected chuck-wills-widow
in Boone NC. It was a flyover and the pics are in silhouette, but show
the bird's shape fairly well. I'm hoping to get someone who is
knowledgeable about nightjar shapes to give an opinion on the likely
identity. You can get the pictures at this ebird checklist:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ebird.org_ebird_view_checklist_S32125394&d=DwICaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=590Yqg-ezMiiuZybO7SriPVKYKd4Nmp4LPleV-cxwuw&s=GCesEwNVIS3K8VeYO1EaNiBzkoTlr_NEqgQgN48hZD0&e=

Probably best to copy and paste the link into your browser. I hope it
comes thru.

Birds of NC calls a report of a Chuck at Valle Crucis, Watauga county,
NC in 2006 "exceptional for the northern mountains", and this would
appear to be only the second report of a Chuck for this mountain region,
though they are regularly heard in neighboring Wilkes County, down the
mountain in the upper foothills.

If you can't personally offer an opinion but know of someone who might
be familiar enough to do so please pass on the name.

Thanks, Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC

Join us on Facebook!