Date: 4/10/17 7:20 pm
From: caroline haines <chaines49...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Dueling over the Annisquam
Two nights ago I had an osprey displaying and calling near the train bridge over the Annisquam River in Gloucester. I went back tonight with my scope to get a better look at the platform in the marsh at the base of Wolf Hill. Voila-sticks! But no birds. I settled in to watch the sunset, and wait for something. In the distance above the river, I spotted what looked like a peregrine, and then a second one. They perused some passerines, and then around the bend in the river came a large bird. Immediately one of the peregrines went after the big bird, causing it to flip and twist in the air-several times! The bird finally got away from the harasser, and I could see that it was an osprey-carrying a fish! It landed at the boatyard nearby and began to dine. In the chaos, I had missed a second osprey, now perched on a pole near the nesting platform, also dining. I'm so excited to have a pair of nesting osprey so close by. Stay tuned!
Caroline Haines
<Songbirder...>

Sent from my iPhone-please excuse brevity, typos, or insults.

Join us on Facebook!