Date: 4/10/17 6:38 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Apr 2017) 22 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 22 207 605

Observation start time: 12:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Susan Corkran

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Tom Brokaw, Susan Corkran, Kathleen Pileggi.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-50% cloud cover), Temps 49-58F, Winds WNW 10-20 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
1-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous
Black (42) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“DO YOU SEE, WHAT I SEE?”---
We conducted a walk at nearby Longwood Gardens first this morning.
Twenty-five people enjoyed an incredibly close, docile male Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker slowly revisiting a row of previously drilled holes six feet up
the trunk of a Maple tree, and just fifteen feet ahead of us. These holes
were clearly leaking sap, a wet area streaming earthward along the bark
from each of the borings. “Our Sapsucker” was shifting from hole stream to
hole stream eating the sap and insects trapped into the attractant, as they
are want to do. Six feet above this row of holes was another row – clearly
older and not leaking sap. It was so nice to see this all, and so clearly
watch what you can read. It is so wondrous to do that, isn’t it? Of
course, we can read about this in books and watch it on videos on the
internet, but to actually EXPERIENCE it – now, THAT’S where it’s at! On
our walk, we also saw Brown Creepers, our first Ruby-crowned Kinglet and an
early-returning Green Heron.
When I got to Bucktoe to conduct the Watch, Susan Corkran was soon there to
join me. It’s so nice to see you, Susan. My favorite Susan story – and
she knows I’m recounting it here (I have her permission) – is this:
It was a wet dreary cold Bucktoe day in late spring some years ago. And it
was FOGGY. We had our regular bird walk scheduled and nobody was showing
up. Unusual, it was the height of warbler migration – but this weather was
just so miserable. Everybody realized they’d see nothing in this “soup.”
Those warblers would be safely hidden in those treetops. You could barely
see those – the tree tops, not the warblers. You definitely couldn’t see
those. I was already picturing myself folding under the sheets and
catching some unanticipated extra winks upon my return to bed, when upon
the gravel of our driveway, I hear the mournful crunching familiar sound of
a late-arriving car! Oh, no! Is SOMEONE actually coming to do a walk on
this day!? No!! But yes, it was. Horrors – much worse than that – it was
Susan and ONLY Susan! Now, I love Susan, but she is not known for, how
should we say this – her visual acuity. An example of a typical field
conversation – both then and reliving it today…follows - species name
altered to protect the innocent:
“Susan, look! A Green Heron!” I exclaimed.
“Where?” Asked Susan. A mystified look etching on her face.
“Twenty feet away, right in front of us!”
“I don’t see it.”
“On that dark tree, right there!”
“I don’t see a tree. What tree?”
“The one leaning over the creek!”
“Where? What (creek)?”
“Susan, the Green Heron is only two feet to the right of my laser pointer’s
green dot!”
“What laser pointer? You know that I don’t see those!”
Now, we typically conduct the walk rain or shine. I’ve certainly birded
long enough to know full-well that birding can be great on bad weather days
– but this was REALLY bad, you couldn’t see a lick. Did I mention there
was FOG?? And it was to be only me and Susan going.
“Where’s the hidden camera? I’m on ‘Candid Camera,’ right?” (Did I just
show my age? I did, right?) “I know somebody’s playing a joke! I get it.
I give up. Susan, I’d have better luck getting BOTH Stevie Wonder and Mr.
MaGoo on a Cerulean Warbler atop a tall leafed-out sycamore than I am going
to have getting you on any warbler, or bird, today!” (I definitely showed
my age with that reference…I mean, Mr. Magoo??)
“And my binoculars aren’t working properly, either.” Added Susan.
Oh, does it get any better? “Do you REALLY think it matters, Susan??”
“No.”
“I don’t think it does, either! Why do you carry those binoculars,
anyway??”
Just perfect! Now, imagine all that conditional baggage, transposing it
from Green Heron to tiny warbler. That’s right - finding an active, small
warbler very high in a leafed-out canopy on a foggy day – just me and
Susan…. Can you say “frustrating!?” We laughed hysterically reliving it
all. We saw nothing that day, but as walks go, it was one of the walks
I’ve ever had. (written correctly – adjective withheld). Thank you, Susan
for that memory and reliving it so often with me. I don’t have many
memories…but thankfully I didn’t lose that one. One of my very favorite
stories of all-time! I truly love when things go a little bit awry, a
little off kilter – as long as nobody is hurt. That’s the things you
really remember - the spice of life. When things go as expected they
quickly vanish into the mundane experiences of life - the boredom of
normalcy. Normal is highly overrated. But when things are a bit out of
whack…the chance for a funny lasting memory is increased. That’s been my
experience, at least. Yours?
Ironically, just then Palm Warblers & a Pine Warbler flew onto the grass
mere feet away – a typical feeding posture for Palm, unusual for Pine….EVEN
more unusual - Susan saw them! BOTH! You just can’t make this stuff up!
4:20pm brought the hooting of Barred Owls from the woods near the
confluence of Bucktoe Creek and Red Clay Creek – where I usually hear
them.
The Anchorman, Tom made an appearance late in the day. It was nice to see
you, Tom on your stroll around your amazing property. Thanks for all you,
and your family do here at Bucktoe Creek Preserve…
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 2-Barred Owl, 1-Brown Thrasher, 1-Pine
Warbler, 4-Palm Warbler, 15-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur.
Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (1):
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.76; Steps: 15,853; Floors:
43.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 45; this season: 83
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: