Date: 4/10/17 5:16 pm
From: Geoff Malosh <pomarine...>
Subject: Dashields, Allegheny lately
Since my last post on April 4, migration at Dashields Dam has been very
slow. Today saw a few interesting birds, though, highlighted by 3 Pectoral
Sandpipers, flying fast on south winds. I just happened to pick them up as
the briefly lifted just above the treeline against the sky at just the right
moment, otherwise they would have easily slipped past undetected like so
many other birds undoubtedly have over the years. They represented the first
record of this species on these spring watches and my first ever for the dam
too. They are quite rare anywhere in Allegheny County away from the Imperial
Grasslands. Also today were one each of Caspian and Forster's Tern.

As I mentioned it's been quite slow down there lately otherwise. The biggest
flock of Double-crested Cormorants this season so far is just 24 on April 5,
though smaller numbers of this species each spring has officially become a
trend. A Great Egret put down in heavy rain on April 6 but departed a few
minutes later, and another passed the dam today too, the third of the
season. April 7 and 8 were both snowed/colded out, with zero movement on
both days. April 9 brought just a single flock of 11 Bonaparte's Gulls and
the first and only (!) Red-breasted Merganser of the season to date. Yet I
still think there is probably another fair to good sized push yet to come
this spring, perhaps even tomorrow with the persistent south winds since
early today.

Geoff

Geoff Malosh

Allegheny County