Date: 4/10/17 3:25 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] South Valley Park area and Robert A. Easton Regional Park, JeffCo 4/10
An *Eastern Phoebe* returned to Deer Creek at the intersection of Deer
Creek Canyon Road and Valley Road, where a tributary flows under Deer Creek
Canyon Road from the north. This is immediately west of the southern
parking lot for South Valley Park, and is the same spot where one was
present in May 2016. It was singing and cooperative where the tributary
joins Deer Creek. Some road work in the local area and the traffic on Deer
Creek Canyon Road made birding less pleasant, though. Over 20 *White-throated
Swifts* were in view over the adjacent part of the Lyons Formation hogback,
and a *Broad-tailed Hummingbird* passed over on its way north.

Two *Wilson's Snipe* were chipping in the cattail marsh in South Valley
Park where Valley Road curves away from the road to Lockheed Martin's Deer
Creek facility. Further north one of a pair of nesting *Prairie Falcons*
was perched near the nest ledge. The pair was obvious before egg laying,
but is now much less evident.

I don't know if this is somehow not to be mentioned, but since the info is
already very public on eBird, I will mention that 2 *Burrowing Owls*
continue in the prairie dog colony near Hine Lake in Robert A. Easton
Regional Park. They can be viewed quite well from the main path that passes
near the colony, without any need to walk into the colony, please and thank
you. While I was there, I noted a fly over *Broad-tailed Hummingbird*,
a *Swainson's
Hawk*, 1 *Vesper Sparrow*, and small parties of *Tree* and *Barn Swallows*.
On *Northern Rough-winged Swallow* was separate from the other swallows.
Hine Lake had a nice mix of waterbirds including 23 *Greater Scaup*, 3 *Horned
Grebes*, 1 *Eared Grebe*, 1 *Blue-winged Teal*, 2 *Cinnamon Teal*, 1 *Greater
Yellowlegs*, and others.

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley
Littleton, CO