Date: 4/10/17 2:48 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
On this beautiful morning, 33 birders gathered to take part in the Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk. For a while we thought this might be the Warbler blitz we experienced last spring when we saw the Yellow-throated Warbler and the Common Yellowthroat, but no such luck.  It was still a great walk, with FOS sightings of Chimney Swifts and a Green Heron; Several bright, freshly molted Palm Warblers; large numbers of Rusty Blackbirds and Grackles; and a Double-crested Cormorant fly over.
Canada Goose  27
Wood Duck  12
Mallard  4
Blue-winged Teal  3
Green-winged Teal  2
Hooded Merganser  1
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Double-crested Cormorant  3
Great Blue Heron  4
Great Egret  1
Green Heron  1
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
American Coot  6
Ring-billed Gull  1
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  1
Chimney Swift  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  6
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  4
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  2
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  6
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  3
Fish Crow  5
Tree Swallow  16
Barn Swallow  1
Carolina Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Carolina Wren  6
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  12
Eastern Bluebird  3
American Robin  20
Common Yellowthroat  2
Palm Warbler  5
Pine Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Yellow-throated Warbler  1
White-throated Sparrow  40
Song Sparrow  2
Swamp Sparrow  11
Eastern Towhee  2
Northern Cardinal  15
Red-winged Blackbird  40
Rusty Blackbird  100
Common Grackle  100
American Goldfinch  20
House Sparrow  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park