Date: 4/10/17 10:12 am
Subject: Red Bellied Woodpeckers behavior?
I know Starlings and some other cavity nesters will kick out Downy Woodpeckers from their recently excavated cavities. However, I just witnessed a very loud commotion where a pair of Downy's were desperately trying to chase off a pair of Red-bellied Woodpeckers who were clearly investigating the Downy's hole.
The hole is big enough for the RBWO heads, but not their bodies. The branch is about the width of their bodies, so I would presume it would be impossible for them to successfully enlarge the cavity. Is it possible that the RBWO were predating on the eggs or chicks of the DOWO? I didn't see any evidence of that, but I was wondering if that does happen?
Thoughts?
David

David Gardner
Director of Environmental Education
St. Christopher Camp & Conference Center
Seabrook Island, SC

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!