Date: 4/10/17 6:53 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Phainopepla thought
Hi all,

Since the weather turned to cool and rainy rather suddenly yesterday
afternoon, for anyone searching for the Phainopepla, I'm wondering if it
might be better to check oaks with mistletoe.

My main prior experience with Phainopeplas comes from watching them
flycatching over willows in desert washes in the Mojave region, on sunny
days when plenty of flying insects were available. So I tend to think of
them in that situation. However mistletoe berries are supposed to be a
major food source, to the point where they have gizzards specialized to
deal with mistletoe berry husks.

There's a big grove of Garry/Oregon white oak just up the hill from
yesterday's location (about 250 yards away), which might be a good place
to check.

More oaks with mistletoe are scattered around the wildlife area, and in
the bedroom community of Adair Village immediately south of there. A
particularly good spot for mistletoe-bearing oaks is Adair County Park,
on the east side of Adair, one mile straight south of this spot.

Good birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier