Date: 4/10/17 5:07 am
From: <eric...>
Subject: Re: Lake Norman birding question
There is as much in the description that doesn't suggest Harris Hawk as
there is that does. No striping on the undersides of the wings of a
mature HAHA, which the base color for would be black and there is the
white stripe at the base of the tail and the terminal band. As most are
aware, Red-shouldered Hawks have the alternate wing barring (banding),
but nothing else in the description would suggest this much more likely
species. No reports of any missing HAHAs from the falconry world have
come my way. Mystery bird?

Eric Harrold

Hays, NC

On 2017-04-09 21:01, Jamie Adams wrote:

> Some falconer's Harris Hawk? At least the description sounds right.
>
> Jamie Adams
> Wilmington, NC
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Apr 9, 2017, at 6:58 PM, Marty McClelland <mmcclelland...> wrote:
>
>> My brother lives in Cornelius NC on Lake Norman and knows the common birds in the area. He sent me the following email:
>>
>> "I have a birder question for you. For two days I've seen a hawk-like bird swooping through the yard that I can't identify. It's definitely hook billed with a 24 to 30 inch wing span. It seems to be all black and has bright red chevrons or stipes on the undersides of each wing. I can't tell if the stripes are on top of the wings. There doesn't seem to be any other colors or white markings."
>>
>> I am wondering if the storms blew in a bird that is not typically seen here. Anyone have any ideas? I suggested to him to try and get a photo.
>>
>> Marty McClelland
>> Durham, NC
> ********************** IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ ************************ This electronic message, including its attachments, is CONFIDENTIAL and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED or PROTECTED information and is intended for the authorized recipient of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies thereof, from all locations received (e.g., computer, mobile device, etc.). Thank you. **********************************************************************

Join us on Facebook!