Date: 4/9/17 8:08 pm
From: Rowe, Richard A, 'Dick' <RoweRA...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Weekend birding in Rockbridge Co
I spent some time out this weekend looking to see what birds had moved into the area. Along the Blue Ridge Parkway, Blue-headed Vireos, Black-throated Green Warblers, Pine Warblers, and Louisiana Waterthrushes are common. Juncos are still in groups and are common above 3000 ft. Around the Lexington area, Tree Swallows, Northern Rough-winged Swallows are common along the Maury River and on Saturday I saw my first Barn Swallows of the season. I have some Tree Swallows building nests already at my research site and I have several pairs of Bluebirds with eggs. I found a Black-and-white Warbler, several pairs of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Yellow-throated Warblers along the Maury both Saturday and Sunday. This morning I watched a Wood Duck land in a tree and was lucky enough to get some photos of it. I still find it odd to see a duck perched in a tree. Near Natural Bridge VA (Locher Tract) I found a late female Purple Finch and singing Swamp Sparrows. Common Mergansers ar
e still present and in large numbers for us. Over the past two years, we have had COME breeding along the Maury River.

I've posted a some photos of the Yellow-throated Warbler and Wood Duck on my Flickr site, if you are interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vmibiology/

Dick Rowe
VMI Biology Dept