Date: 4/9/17 6:51 pm
From: <cathie.murray...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Great owl, FOY Fox Sparrow, and woodcock action in Hallowell
Quite a day!
Great horned owl calling on our block from about 4 - 4:30 am. Seemed to be
the higher pitched of the couple. About 20 minutes in I'm pretty sure I
heard the deeper voice answer from a distance.
FOY Fox Sparrow in the backyard first thing this morning. Chowed down all
day.
After sunset, we went to the Res on Town Farm Road (about 7:45 pm). We
walked in about 50 feet and realized we had at least 3 woodcock whirring
around us quite close to the road. So we stopped and had some good looks
and listens as they flew in and out of the saplings. We left while they
were not "peenting" on the ground, hoping we didn't disturb their evening.
No complaints here :)