Date: 4/9/17 6:02 pm
Subject: Re: Lake Norman birding question
Some falconer's Harris Hawk? At least the description sounds right.

Jamie Adams
Wilmington, NC

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 9, 2017, at 6:58 PM, Marty McClelland <mmcclelland...><mailto:<mmcclelland...>> wrote:

My brother lives in Cornelius NC on Lake Norman and knows the common birds in the area. He sent me the following email:

"I have a birder question for you. For two days I've seen a hawk-like bird swooping through the yard that I can't identify. It's definitely hook billed with a 24 to 30 inch wing span. It seems to be all black and has bright red chevrons or stipes on the undersides of each wing. I can't tell if the stripes are on top of the wings. There doesn't seem to be any other colors or white markings."

I am wondering if the storms blew in a bird that is not typically seen here. Anyone have any ideas? I suggested to him to try and get a photo.

Marty McClelland
Durham, NC
********************** IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ ************************ This electronic message, including its attachments, is CONFIDENTIAL and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED or PROTECTED information and is intended for the authorized recipient of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies thereof, from all locations received (e.g., computer, mobile device, etc.). Thank you. **********************************************************************

Join us on Facebook!