Date: 4/9/17 4:02 pm
From: David Kuechenmeister <drkz39...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Oakland Cemetery Bird Walk 4/8/17
Rob McDonough and I co-led a group of 12 birders on the second bird walk of
the season through Oakland Cemetery on Saturday morning. Oakland Cemetery
is a 48-acre park-like property with a rich and diverse mix of flowering
plants, shrubs and trees that attract insects and birds. The weather
conditions were great compared to the very windy, cold and rainy days
preceding our walk. It was calm, mild and sunny. We saw and heard the
usual year-round and winter residents but most of the spring migrants that
will start showing up at this location soon hadn't arrived yet. We saw and
heard a respectable 35 species total and got nice views of several
frolicking Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and heard two singing Northern Parula.
Participants also learned about some of the historical aspects of Oakland
Cemetery, including, "Tweet the Mockingbird," a family's pet Northern
Mockingbird that was buried at Oakland Cemetery in the family's plot in
1874. The bird's grave is marked with a small carved lamb because the
stonecutter couldn't replicate a mockingbird.

The bird species identified during Saturday's walk are listed below.

Downy Woodpecker 2
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 7
American Crow 1