Date: 4/9/17 3:40 pm
From: Paul Hertzel <phertzel...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Re: Clear Lake
There was a male Surf Scoter just off City Beach at Clear Lake this
afternoon. The bird had a bright yellow/orange bill and a white patch
on the back of its neck, although the patch was not yet bright and
crisp. It was swimming on the outer edge of the raft of Coots, moving
in a counter-clockwise direction around the lake.

There are already quite a few boats on the lake, and
dock-construction was heavy all around the lake. Still, I was able to
find a couple of Horned Grebes, 13 Common Loons, two dozen
Buffleheads, several hundred Ruddy Ducks, many scaup, and both
cormorants and pelicans. Gulls were Ring-billed and Bonaparte's, and
the only shorebirds I could find were 4 Greater Yellowlegs at Lekwa
Marsh, and 4 Lesser Yellowlegs at 5-Goose Pond.

Paul Hertzel
Mason City